Hideyo Yamada’s Vegan & Gluten Free Cranberry Poached Pear Tart
Looks intimidating, but definitely doable!
This past Martin Luther King Day I had the pleasure of taking Hideyo Yamada’s class on innovative vegan and gluten free desserts. A favorite that stood out was the Cranberry Poached Pear Tart with Pistachio Cream and an Oat-Cardamom Crust. It’s light and just sweet enough making it the perfect year round treat.
Chef Hideyo specializes in a wide range of cuisines from Sushi to Pastry including vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and allergy-free recipes.
This recipe is no easy feat and it’s definitely a tad time consuming, but it’s guaranteed to impress even the toughest of skeptics.
So shut your pie whole and give this one a whirl!
- spice grinder
- 9 inch tart pan
- pastry blender
- Vitamix or blender
- food processor
- melon baller (can use a small spoon instead)
- flour sifter
- parchment paper
- ¼ cup gluten free rolled oats
- ¼ cup + 1 tbs coconut flakes
- 3 tbs coconut flour, plus more for coating the pan
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup gluten free oat flour
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil, plus more for oiling the pan
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350° Oil a 9 inch tart pan with coconut oil. Lightly dust with oat flour or coconut flour.
- Grind rolled oats coarsely in a spice grinder
- Grind coconut flakes coarsely in a spice grinder
- Sift coconut flour, almond flour, oat flour, cardamom and salt into a bowl. As the ground sesame seeds and coconut flakes. Mix using a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Mix wet ingredients with the dry ingredients preferably using a pastry blender.
- Lightly brush coconut oil on bottom and sides of the tart pan. Use a bit of coconut flour to lightly coat the bottom and sides of the tart pan, so the pastry doesn’t stick.
- Press the crust into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared tart pan.
- Use a fork to poke a few small holes in the bottom of the crust, so that the crust doesn’t rise.
- Freeze for 20 min or until hardened before baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Cool completely before filling.
Cranberry Poached Pear
- 1 ½ cups golden raisins
- 1 quart cranberry juice
- 4 ripe Anjou or Bosc pears, peeled
- pinch of sea salt
- Soak raisins in the cranberry juice overnight.
- In a pot add pears, cranberry juice, and raisins. Make sure to cover the pears with cranberry juice. If not enough cranberry, add water to cover the pears.
- Bring to a boil. Cover pot with round parchment paper on top of the pears. Simmer until pears become soft, but not mushy.
- The poached pears can be made a day ahead.
- Cut the pears in half. Core using a melon baller.
- Thinly slice the pears.
Cranberry Raisin Jam
- raisins (from poaching the pears)
- 1 ¼ cups cranberry juice (from liquid from poaching the pears)
- 1 tbs kuzu + 2 tbs water
- In a Vitamix or blender, blend raisins and cranberry juice until smooth.
- In a pot, add the raisin mixture and bring to a boil. Simmer until very thick.
- Mix together the kuzu and water. Add kuzu mixture to the jam to thicken.
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup shelled pistachios (unsalted), soaked overnight, peeled thin skin (optional), drained
- ½ vanilla bean
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ tsp agar powder
- 3 tbs brown rice syrup
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp kuzu + 2 tsp water
- In a food processor, blend coconut cream, pistachios, vanilla bean, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth.
- In a small pot, combine water and agar powder. Soak for 5 minutes.
- Bring water/agar mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add brown rice syrup and maple syrup. Bring back to a boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until agar powder has dissolved.
- Mix together the kuzu and water. Mix into the pot with agar mixture. Bring back to a boil. Stir well.
- Turn on the food processor with the pistachio mixture. Carefully add the agar mixture. Blend well.
- Transfer to a container. Stick in the refrigerator to cool completely before making the tart.
Cranberry Poached Pear and Pistachio Cream with Oat-Cardamom Crust
- ½ cup Cranberry Raisin Jam (see recipe above)
- Oat-Cardamom Crust (see recipe above)
- Pistachio Cream (see recipe above)
- Cranberry Poached Pears (see recipe above)
Ingredients for Clear Gelatin Final Coating
- ½ cup water
- ¾ tsp agar powder
- 2 tbs agave nectar
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Spread the cranberry raisin jam on the oat-cardamom crust.
- Spread the pistachio cream on top of the jam.
- Arrange poached pears like a large rose on top of the pistachio cream.
Directions for Clear Gelatin
- Combine the water and agar powder in a small pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes until agar powder has dissolved.
- Add agave nectar and bring back to a boil.
- Turn off the heat. Add the lemon juice.
- Pour the jello mixture over the poached pears.
- Cool until clear jello is firm.
- Ready to serve!!